Idle & cooling

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Idle & cooling
From: BrYarboro@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:08:09 EDT
Hi folks;
I replaced the water pump and temps sender on my '67 Mk. 3. Prior to
replacement, the sender worked intermittently, but, when it worked the temp
was in the 1/3 to 1/2 range. I got a new one form Spitbits and the gauge
pegged the needle. I tried an old on from my '70 parts car and it read ~1/2 @
idle. However, at speed it is only a few millimeters below the red mark @ the
left of the temp. gauge. My first thought is that some sludge got stirred up
when I drained the system to replace the water pump. Any thoughts would be
appreciated. Also, what is the most effective and easiest way to clean the
cooling system if my assumption is correct?
Secondly; My carbs (HS-2 X2) were rebuilt and set up last fall. Recently,
I've had a problem with erratic idle (not to be confused with Eric Idle).
Sometimes it is up at 800 - 1000 RPM, then it will be barely able to sustain
enough idle to not stall. Suggestions?
Brian Yarborough
'67 Mk.3