Re: Steering wheel - front end question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering wheel - front end question
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:34:04 +0100
In article <3D11E391.F3B2AE3@umassp.edu>, Mike Chmura
<m.chmura@umassp.edu> writes
>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm not having a problem, or least I don't think so yet, but I would
>just like to get some feedback from other spit owners on this issue.
>This question is directed at later model spit owners.  I have a 1978.
>
>Question:  when the front wheels are pointed straight ahead, should the
>steering wheel have it's horizontal spokes level?

Yes.

>   When my car is in
>that position (front wheels straight ahead)  my steering wheel is cocked
>to one side about 20 degrees or so.  Is this situation normal or could
>it be that someone put the steering wheel on in-correctly?

The latter.   20 degrees is so extreme as to be unlikely to be a symptom
of anything else.   When you have a *slight* angle, it's time to get
your wheel alignment checked.

>   Is this a
>bad thing that should be corrected quickly?

No.   You can drive like that for ever - but doesn't it annoy you?

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"