Re: I don't believe it, gutted...

To: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: I don't believe it, gutted...
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 08:57:50 -0700
At 07:46 AM 8/17/02 -0700, John Hobson wrote:
>I just ran a compression check and the results are as follows:
>
>YESTERDAY
>
>1. 120 - plugs light biscuit
>2. 125 - plugs light biscuit
>3. 145 - plugs light biscuit
>4. 145 - plugs light biscuit
>
>TODAY
>
>1. 0   - plugs oiley
>2. 0   - plugs oiley
>3. 160 - plugs darker biscuit, some oil on plug threads
>4. 160 - plugs darker biscuit

You could also have a blown head gasket between Cylinders 1 and 2, which
are not under compression at the same time and could easily result in zero
pressure if the two were linked.

It's not all for naught though.  Pulling the head would be the first
task.  Get a good look at the tops of the cylinders to make sure you don't
have any damage from the head (dropped valve) or chipped valve (debris
caused).  Then set the head aside as 'good'.

Pulling the engine out is really a quick job.  Any sort of lift will work,
including a cable hoist.  Pull the engine and transmission together as it's
much easier to work on as a unit out of the car.  You can leave the
transmission in the car if you wish.  It's really a personal
choice.  Either way, engine can be hanging free in the air in 30 minutes or
so.  I would definately recommend pulling the bonnet first!

Folding engine hoists are on sale at Harbor Freight currently for $169!  I
know they aren't in the UK, but for US listers, it's a good opportunity.