RE: Transmission Noise?

To: "'Kenneth Willanger'" <ken_willanger@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Transmission Noise?
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 07:25:01 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Kenneth Willanger
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 5:59 AM
To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission Noise?

Hi Listers,

I'm in need of some assistance.

I just installed a factory rebuilt transmission in my 1979 Spitfire
along
with a new clutch and a new clutch release bearing.  The transmission
seems
to be shifting fine.  I've also have got my overdrive working properly
again.

The problem is that when I get the car up to around 3500 RPM I start
getting
a kind of clattering noise?  If I push the clutch in there is no noise.

Also, it seems like if I just stomp on the gas and go through the gears
don't notice the noise nearly as much, if at all.

Does this sound like it could be the clutch or the clutch release
bearing or
is my Transmission Faulty?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ken W.

My guess is that it is related to the throw out bearing.  Since it is
spinning loosely all the time, when the clutch is not engaged any slack
in it might show up as that chattering you hear.  Engaging the clutch
would load the bearings inside and cause it to go away.

Joe