installing door waist seals.

To: "spitfire maillist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: installing door waist seals.
From: "Jack" <jkagy@bpsom.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:20:28 -0400
What a coincidence...I'm in the process of doing the same thing on my
spitfire.  Spent a couple of hours doing the outside seal.  Started on the
inside seal and decided I had had enough for one day.  I had read a procedure
that called for putting the clips on the seal first when doing the outside but
putting them on the car first when doing the inside.  It also recommended
buying/making a J shaped tool.  When doing the outside, I was able to see well
enough what was happening, but it seems nearly impossible to see where you are
at when doing the inside seal, whether the clips are already on the seals or
not.
When I started, the outside seal was missing and I pushed the old clips off,
using new ones.  The inside seal was still present and was no trouble to rip
out.  I then drove the old clips out.  DUMB.  They were in there tight enough
that I should have left them and just installed the new seal to the old clips.
I've been working on the RH door and hopefully can use the old clips when I do
the LH door.