Re: installing door waist seals.

To: "Spit Elist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: installing door waist seals.
From: "Ken" <sdspitfire@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:07:22 -0700
There is an much, much easier way to install both the inside and outside
window seals. The first thing is to gather all the clips together in a
bunch, make sure you have all of them, then THROW THEM AWAY !  The second
thing is to buy a tube of black rtv and 'glue' the seals to the doors.
You'll have to improvise a clamping arrangement. I placed the seals with
copious amounts of adhesive in the proper locations and pushed a wood strip
between them, every few inches, to hold both in place. Worked great !

After painting, I just couldn't bring myself to then scratch the paint off
by installing any of the clips typically used on the Spitfire.  We spend all
this time fighting rust and then scratch off the paint to give it a nice
place to start, hmmm ... So everything is 'glued' using rtv, double sided
tape or held in place with some other non-intrusive method. Even the rear
trim around the tail section, (It's a 1972 MK IV). The last items are the
Spitfire MK IV emblems, one one the bonnet, the others on the rear wings.
Just picked up some double-sided tape from the local auto paint store. The
same tape used to hold on body cladding, the clerk said the emblems would
never fall off. Sure hope so.

Ken C