Re: It's Alive!!!

To: Geoff Heyland <gheyland@odyssey.on.ca>
Subject: Re: It's Alive!!!
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:19:54 -0400
Joe Curry, jump in if I'm wrong....

Geoff Heyland wrote:
> and the fact that the spark plug
> leads were plugged into the cap 180 degrees wrong!!

Whoever installed the distributor put it in bass acwards.  Probably had
cylinder #1 at TDC on the intake stroke instead of the power stroke.
Fix: pull, turn 180 deg., install, swap wires around; re-time.  Or just
leave it alone....

> Now, a new problem - I can't get it to idle.  It fires up immediately and
> roars - and I mean roars!>

Vacuum leak.   To locate, spray carb cleaner (heavily!) around the
carb-to-intake manifold and manifold-to-cylinder head joints.

>Also, the tachometer goes all the way
> around and then doesn't move anymore - how do I "calibrate" these old
> "analogue" tachs?

Sounds like the tach works fine.  It really is redlining.

--
Douglas Frank  DigitalWhoopsCompaqImeanHP Co.
ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,