Exhaust leak - now I know (was - I think.)

To: "NASS" <nass@yahoogroups.com>, "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Exhaust leak - now I know (was - I think.)
From: "Bill Gingerich" <wrgingerich@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:40:37 -0500
Greetings, Fellow Listers,

Thanks again to The Lists!  Based on suggestions from all of you, I did a
little more investigating of my exhaust leak.  First, I tried disconnecting
one plug wire at a time to see if things changed.  When I pulled the #3
wire, the noise stopped.  None of the other wires affected the noise.  Next,
using the old "rubber hose as a stethoscope" trick, I was able to find the
noise at the bottom of the manifold gasket right under the #3 pipe.  I also
checked at the collector to see if there may have been a crack there - no
noise.  This morning I pulled the manifolds off the car.  The gasket showed
a black (carbon?) strip across the face of the gasket right under the #3
port.  Looks like a leaking gasket to me!  A new one is on the way.  With
luck, Lazarus will be purring once again before the weekend.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to why the gasket decided to leak?

BillG
'74 Spitfire aka Lazarus, about to rise again.
'73 Spitfire aka Rip Van Spitfire, still sleeping.
'71 GT6 aka Dorian "Primer" Grey, long term project.