Windshield installed

To: "spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Windshield installed
From: "griffco" <griffco@griffco.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:43:51 -0600
For those of you following my queries on windshield installation, here's the
latest.

The shopping centre parking lot windshield crack repair guy wouldn't touch the
big chip on the edge of my windshield.  Can't really blame him - the chip on
the outside was about an inch across, on the inside about 3/4".  The glass was
completely missing from the outside, but still hanging together on the
inside.

So I bought some 2 part, long setting epoxy and filled the chips inside and
out.  I layed a layer of polythene over the glass, then clamped a piece of
flexible plastic to the windshield.   I then filled the chip with epoxy and
left it overnight.  Removed the plastic, peeled off the poly and there it was
- fixed.  No scraping needed.  It's right on the edge, so half is hidden by
the seal, and it is behind the sun visor, so out of site.

Then I installed the windshield myself.  The hardest part was removing the wax
off the rubber moulding.  Used Varsol.  Put the seal on the glass, and wrapped
the cord into the groove.  Installed it myself in about an hour.

Discovered there is more patience than skill needed!  Saved myself between $50
and $100 (depending on the shop I phoned).

Mind you, I didn't put the "Seelastic" in the rubber seal before putting it on
the glass, as recommended in the Haynes manual.  But I will put a seal of
Urethane around the edge, as recommended by several glass installers and
friends.

Next big trick I think will be installing the metal trim piece!

Cheers, Fred