Spitfire GM Alternator woes -

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire GM Alternator woes -
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:09:42 -0700
I have just replaced the (working) large standard mid 70 style GM
alternator in my Spitfire with a Proform brand new, not rebuilt 105 amp
direct pin for pin and bolt for bolt mini alternator for a little more room
around there - While the new alternator appears to be charging as indicated
by the ammeter, the indicator light no longer lights when the IGN key is
turned to run but the engine not started.  I noticed also when it was dark
enough out that when off there is but the faintest glow from the IGN lamp
that extinguishes when the engine is running -  Now this is supposed to be
a direct plug n replacement - but I am wondering if maybe the lamp, which
works with the old S10 style is not enough resistance for this new item?
Any ideas?  I have contacted Proform but as yet no reply and this kinda
bugs me as to why its not functioning as it should - I can leave it for now
since it is charging normally, but the glow would indicate a drain, however
slight -
Anybody have any other thoughts?? Comments?? Etc -
Barry Schwartz - San Diego -(bschwart@pacbell.net)
---