Re: Early Spitfire Bonnets

To: "Bob Van-Kempen" <bob.vankempen@optusnet.com.au>,
Subject: Re: Early Spitfire Bonnets
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:57:48 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Van-Kempen <bob.vankempen@optusnet.com.au>

> Can anyone enlighten me about why Spitfire parts suppliers can supply
> complete Mk3 (and later) bonnets/hoods (new), but not Mk1/2 bonnets?  My
> understanding is the only real difference is in the front section
> (incorporating the grille and bumper bar linkages).  Is it just a case of
> supply and demand?

Hi Bob,
    It's true that most of the panels are common between the MkI/II and MkIII
bonnets. I don't know the hard facts in this case, but most of the panels made
by British Motor Heritage are produced from the original tooling. With the TR6
bodyshell, a large proportion was made from new tooling where the original
tools had been lost or scrapped since the end of production. It's quite likely
that the presses for producing the Spitfire's early front bonnet panels no
longer exist, with insuffucient demand for production of new tooling.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics