Re: Early Spitfire Bonnets

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Early Spitfire Bonnets
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 06:00:22 -0800 (PST)
Bob,
 You should be able to buy any model of bonnet (made
by british motor heritage) from Rimmer Bros. in the
UK.
But I believe you are right about demand, because US
suppliers don't keep them in stock.
 Probably because there seems to still be a supply of
originals from parts cars in wreckage yards that you
can get much cheaper (though they are getting very
hard to find in recent years). Remember the US got the
lion's share of spits/gt6's, and people that are
looking to spending the money often go to a fiberglass
unit.
 I got my MK1 gt6 bonnet for $50 (plus the cost of
renting a truck to pick it up).

Just FYI, the bonnets are completely different.
-The fender seem on late model spits runs along the
sides. The fender seem on the early cars runs along
the top (under the trip strip, which mkIV's+ don't
have).
-The main top section is therefore different between
early and late.
-The light recesses on late model spits receieves
those surrounds that the early models don't have.
-The over-all length, from back to nose tip is about
an inch shorter on early spits then on the square
tails.
-Different bonnet hinge tubes.
Basically, nothing is interchangable except for the
bulbs and the latches.
-Terry

Can anyone enlighten me about why Spitfire parts
suppliers can supply
complete Mk3 (and later) bonnets/hoods (new), but not