Cheap improvised fix for wobbly side-mirror

To: spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfires)
Subject: Cheap improvised fix for wobbly side-mirror
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:09:29 +0000
You know, if there's too much wobble-play on the side view mirror, it becomes
useless due to the angle.

This last weekend, I removed all the hardware off the door, and realized the
screw-housings mounted on the door were worn, and thus had play on them.

What the heck are those screw-holders anyway? I looked at one I sliced off, and
it seems to be twisted-on, not unlike a pop rivet. I can't even fathom how to
get a new one on if one were available.

The frontmost one was too loose so i Dremeled it off. The other one had a minor
bit of play, but decided to leave it on. So instead of the holder, I decided to
use a new screw(lucky to find one that went into the trapezoid-shaped mount), 2
washers + spring washer and the nut.

The difficult part was getting the thread started from inside the door, with
only so much room through that hole in the door. I had to tape the nut+washers
together + a pick tool and stuff my arm in the door, while trying to screw in
with my other hand.

Either way it worked. There's still a 1 mm gap on the non-MacGyvered side, but
it no longer wobbles. I just hope the nut doesn't shake off.

BTW on the inquiry of my new tires, I'll get you the name of them when I get
home. I lost the paperwork which listed the tire name.

--
http://infaux.net