Crankshaft pulley nut --- Success

To: Spitfire Digest <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Crankshaft pulley nut --- Success
From: Robert Rutherford <rrutherf@ucalgary.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:57:33 -0700
Thanks to all on the list for the many ways to exert significant
leverage on the recalcitrant nut. Given that I had removed the hood
already I decided to follow Andy's 'tough love' approach. Removed the
radiator and any other obstructions and used a 3/4 breaker bar placed
horizontally on the left or passenger side of the frame. Took several
bumps of the starter but it came loose. The nut now has anti-seize on
it. Used same technique on my other 1500 to make sure it was removeable
before giving back the borrowed 3/4 breaker bar. This one took one hit
of the starter followed by 100psi of impact wrench.

Robert Rutherford
76 and 78 Spit

Andy wrote:
Meanwhile, sounds like it's time to use the tried-and-true (and
painful-sounding) method of:

1. Put the socket/breaker bar on the nut, pointing more or less
straight up
or as far counterclockwise on the nut as you can.

2. Turn the key to START.

3. Rinse and repeat as necessary. OK, you can skip the rinse. ;-)

Never took more than two tries for this to work for me.

--Andy  Mace