Re: Ignition problem solved - now new problem

To: "Jim Cullen" <ccullen16@cogeco.ca>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition problem solved - now new problem
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:48:41 -0400
At 10:03 PM 9/16/2005 -0400, Jim Cullen wrote:
>Hi All,
>

>Then after figuring this out and getting the seats and carpet done. I figured
>it was time to replace the plugs, wires, cap, points, the whole shooting match
>in the ignition. Unfortunately after ordering all the parts except the coil, I
>now have no spark. I am assuming that my lovely lucas ignition coil waited
>until I replaced all of it other friends to fail on me. Now I guess I have to
>replace the coil. The fun never ends.

I bet the coil is still good.  Either one of the other new parts was defective,
or you made a mistake
installing them.  You can check a coil fairly well by measuring the resistance
of the primary
and secondary coils.  Personally, I hate replacing a part unless I can prove
that it is actually defective
(or if I am bored and feel like working on the car).

I drive my car about 1500 miles a year.  At that rate, a distributor cap,
rotor, and wires should last
at least 12 years.   I haven't even changed or adjusted my points in 5 years or
so, and every year when I check the timing
and dwell, they are fine.

Remember: if you replace an old, grubby-looking, but well-made original part
with a new, shiny, but
cheaply-made reproduction, you may just be making things worse.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit