Re: Ignition problem solved - now new problem

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition problem solved - now new problem
From: "Jim Cullen" <ccullen16@cogeco.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:55:18 -0400
Well... I guess Doug was right - thanks for the words of wisdom anyhow.
After replacing my ignition coil with a generic one. I still have no spark
from the coil -frustrating. I don't get it - there is power to the coil -
the positive and negative sides of the coil both have full power. However,
when I turn the engine over and I have the coil wire grounded on the engine
I see no spark (well actually a few minutes ago I had my wife observing with
me and she saw some faint sparks, and when I retried I saw a few glimmers,
but when I tried the third time - nothing. So, either 1) I replaced a bad
coil with a new faulty one, 2) I screwed something up when I replaced the
wires, points, rotor, and cap, or 3) The problem is elementary and simple,
but my brain it too thick to figure it out.

To make things worse I pulled out the ignition switch to make sure that was
okay and in the process of investigating I chipped off a piece of the
plastic that marries with the key mechanism - still works, but I would
imagine it will fail soon so I will be looking for a new ignition switch
too. Hopefully I will have figured out this problem by then.

If anyhow has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Cullen
1974 Spitfire