Re: Ignition problem solved - now new problem

To: Jim Cullen <ccullen16@cogeco.ca>
Subject: Re: Ignition problem solved - now new problem
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@roomies.furry.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:41:20 -0700 (PDT)
Two circuits in operation.  START and RUN.  Your RUN circuit is fine as
you found when you have power on the coil's postiive terminal when the key
is on.  I bet if you do the same test while it's cranking that it is off.
You can verify this by temporarily hooking a wire between any hot power
(battery or otherwise) to the positive terminal of the coil.  Be mindful
that you'll have to disconnect this to stop the engine- it's for testing
only.

You've got a problem with the wire from the START terminal of the ignition
switch to the coil.  It doesn't go through any ballast for the START
position and is a full 12 volts.

Oh yes, be sure you've got that coil hooked up right.  The black wire from
the distributor goes to the negative side of the coil on negative ground
cars versus the positive side for positive grounded cars (Mk I and Mk
II's).

-Vegaman Dan
-68 Spitfire Mk III "Giles"