Re: SPITFIRE - Getting my Spitfire Ready for Daily Driver

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SPITFIRE - Getting my Spitfire Ready for Daily Driver
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:43:58 EST
In a message dated 12/2/2006 8:17:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
c0ssizem@yahoo.com writes:

...I am going to take the Spitfire to a shop down the road to
have  the rear diff resealed (leaks bad)....

==AM==
How badly does it leak? Is it actually streaming out somewhere, or does  it
just get a bit moist over time?

Have you checked the vent on the top of the diff. to make sure it's  clear?
If it's plugged up, pressure buildup can force the gear oil out of  various
spots.

It's hard to see, but what you're looking for (possibly by "feel") is the
head of a split pin sticking out of the top of the differential case --
actually on the forward part of the right rear "ear" (where it mounts to the
chassis). Make sure that area is free of excess grit and grime and that the
head of
that split pin is free to mvoe up and down.

I'm not saying that's your only problem, but it's worth checking  out!

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with   wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and
Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

===     http://www.vtr.org