Re: SPITFIRE - Getting my Spitfire Ready for Daily Driver

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SPITFIRE - Getting my Spitfire Ready for Daily Driver
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 00:52:52 -0500
On 2 Dec 2006 at 17:16, Shane Sizemore wrote:

> I have never driven it over 10-15 miles total round trip

That's a trip around the block!  I've driven mine on 700 mile round
trips with the wife and me camping out of it.  The point being that
the car should handle a longer trip just fine if it's in good shape.

> I want the following replaced (probably original parts I might
> add so they are old)...
> 2) Replaced Univ joints in half shafts

Good idea.

> 3) Replace Tie Rod ends

If they have no free play they should be okay, but since they aren't
too expensive and are easy to replace, it's probably a good idea.

> 4) Replace Ball joints

AFAIK, the ball joints aren't a weak point.

> 5) Fine tune the Weber carb

Ah, that's not original!

You should drain and refill, or at least top off, the gearbox oil.
Lube the rear wheel bearings, front trunnions, and the steering rack
too while you're at it.  Make sure the handbrake mechanism is free.
Check or replace the radiator hoses, replace the coolant.  Do all the
usual suspects for the engine, oil, plugs, etc.

Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org