Re: TR:Spitfire - Trunion Question

To: Shane Sizemore <c0ssizem@yahoo.com>, Spitfire list
Subject: Re: TR:Spitfire - Trunion Question
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 08:58:22 -0800 (PST)
You shouldn't have to mess with the hub or brakes
to do anything to the trunnion.  After you disconnect
the bolt that holds the trunnion to the lower A-arm,
the trunnion simply unscrews from the vertical link
(the part that holds the hub).

The trunnion-to-A-arm connection includes a bolt,
a nut, a metal sleeve, a couple of plastic sleeves,
and some metal discs and O-rings for sealing.
You can get a kit to replace all of them once.
Usually the plastic or metal sleeves are worn out
or seized up. If the joint is ultra-worn-out,
the brass trunnion itself might have started to get
worn, but this is unusual.  The main wear area
for the trunnion is the threaded hole where the
vertical link screws in to it (and swivels when you
steer).  That joint holds up the weight of the car!
If it gets very worn out, the vertical link could
pull out of the trunnion, and the suspension would
collapse.
(You can also replace the rubber seal at the top of
the trunnion, where the vertical link screws in).

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org