Re: TR-Spitfire : Replaceing UV Joints in Half Shafts

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-Spitfire : Replaceing UV Joints in Half Shafts
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:24:18 -0500 (EST)
Shane Sizemore asked:
> I have a 75 Spit and wanted to replace the UV joints
> in the Half Shafts...
> Is replacing the UV joints in the half shafts
> something I can do without having to remove the axles
> or differential?

No need to removed the diff; just remove the four bolts per side which hold the
u-joint flange to the bearing frame sticking out of each side of the diff.

Removing a halfshaft isn't hard.  Unhook the brake line; I've been told you can
clamp the hose to keep the fluif in so you won't have to bleed them, but
bleeding them is easy.  Unhook the spring and clevis pin holding the handbrake
cable.  Once the u-joint flange and brake are free, remove the bolts holding
the bottom of the shock, the rear end of the trailing link, and vertical link's
attachment to the spring.  They may take some grunting but it's straighforward.
 Installation is the reverse procedure, the toughest part being re-aligning the
bolt holes.  Bleed the brakes, drive away.
--
Jim Muller, wondering if a UV joint means UniVersal joint, or UltraViolet
joint, or Universal Velocity joint, or what?

===     http://www.vtr.org