Re: TR-Spitfire : Replaceing UV Joints in Half Shafts

To: Shane Sizemore <c0ssizem@yahoo.com>, Spitfire
Subject: Re: TR-Spitfire : Replaceing UV Joints in Half Shafts
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:26:05 -0800 (PST)
You can replace the U-joints while under the car, but
it is a tedious, unpleasant job.  If the joints
are really old and rusted in place it may be
extremely difficult.  You need to use a sturdy C-clamp
to press them out.

Worst case you have to remove the axle and
do it on the bench.  No need to ever remove the diff.

If you are doing both these jobs while under the
car,  I highly recommend first cleaning your
car's nether regions really well with Gunk
Engine-Brite or Simple Green and a power
washer.

I once got some u-joints from Pep Boys that
were made in the USA and had a grease fitting
on the center of one cap, instead of sticking
out from the center (or not having a grease fitting
at all).  This kind was the easiest to actually
lubricate with a grease gun.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org