today's firsts

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: today's firsts
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:19:56 -0500
It was the best of times, it was the first of times.  You experience
something new every day.

Today I addressed a few "issues" on the GT6.  Replaced the rubber
fule lines downstream from the fule pump.  Replaced the other float
valve.  No big deal, but I'm trying to stop it from overflowing the
carb bowls every so often and collecting fuel in the oil.

Then I replaced the thermostat.  Since we've had no real winter so
far we've taken the car on a few interesting trips, but the car has
had no heat.  I found the most curiousest thermostat I've ever seen.
The spring-like thingy underneath that operates it was there, but
there was no disk surface above, just a vertical shaft running upward
to nothing.  Well, that explains why we had no heat, but what
happened to the top half?  Did it just dissolve away?

Next I changed the oil, decided after all the glowing praise here
that I'd switch to Valvoline synthetic 10-30.  When I pulled the
filter shell off the innards came apart and I must have put it back
together wrong.  It built pressure okay but then I noticed a spring
lying on the ground.  Oops.  Took it apart again, re-assembled, tried
again.  This time it never developed oil pressure so I shut it off,
noticed a puddle of oil under the car and oil blowing out the seal.
Yipes, what a mess in the driveway.  That synth stuff is slippery.
Took it apart again, re-thought how it is should work.  Now it's okay
but is down two quarts, with $10 of oil seeping into the asphalt.
One more trip to Autozone...  In all these years I have never
forgotten to put the drain plug in before putting the oil in.

Maybe it was the first of times and the worst of times.

Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org