wheel bearing question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: wheel bearing question
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:37:10 -0500
The last issue I addressed on the GT6 today appears to be related to
a front wheel bearing.  The RF wheel has developed some looseness
that you can detect by pulling the wheel in and out at the top.  It
isn't a tie rod end because it isn't side-to-side wobble nor is there
detectable freeplay there.  It is definitely camber-oriented.  The
ball joint and trunnion bushings have no detectable freeplay so I
conclude that it is the bearing.  Once before I tried to tighten the
castle nut but it wouldn't go far enough to put the cotter pin in a
different hole.

Today asked at the local Autozone and lo! they have Timken bearings
in stock for the GT6.  Will wonders never cease?  But before buying
anything I pulled the outer bearing; didn't do the inner because I
didn't have time to remove the brake caliper.  The outer bearing was
fine as was its race in the hub.  The grease had no visible evidence
of bearing failure anywhere.  It has not been making noise.  So I re-
assembled, and this time the freeplay seems to have disappeared, at
least until I drive on it again.

Anyway, my question is whether failure of the inner bearing might
typically result in this kind of freeplay?  Or conversely whether
this kind of freeplay is usually associated with inner bearing
failure.  Given the current weather and my schedule I have limited
time to dig into this.  I'd rather not pull the hub apart if I don't
have to.

Tanks,

Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com