Re: [Spit] Factory Hardtop

To: Stuart Greenwood <sagreenwood@earthlink.net>, spitfires
Subject: Re: [Spit] Factory Hardtop
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 06:11:10 -0700 (PDT)
Several years ago I replaced the tattered headliner of
a hardtop that I had bought.  It was time-consuming,
but the headliner still looks perfect after 6 or 7
years.

Here is a pre-replacement photo:

http://www.dougbraun.com/pix/hardtop1.jpg

Do you still have the metal bows that run across the
roof?  If not, you may have to do some searching...

It is not hard to find a pre-sewn replacement fabric.
I got mine from Rimmer Bros.

Here are some tips  (in addition to those good
articles that others have already posted):

1: Unlike most headliner replacement jobs, you can
take off the roof and work on a bench!  Arrange a big
padded table or something similar to securely hold
your hardtop upside down while working it.  A pair of
sawhorses is not really good enough.

2: You really need to remove the rear window.  This is
not as scary as it sounds if the rubber seal is not
disintegrating.  Remove the window while the hardtop
is still on the car.

3:  You will want to re-cover or replace the hardboard
pieces under the rear window, etc.

4: Consider putting some sort of insulation on the
underside of the roof sheet metal.  But be sure it
will not sag and touch the fabric.  I used this heavy,
foil-coated self-stick foam about 1/8" thick that is
sold in places like Home Depot for insulating hot
water pipes and ductwork.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit