[Spit] Early Spitfire4 heater box quandary

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spit] Early Spitfire4 heater box quandary
From: "Suzie" <suzie.singleton@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 14:25:22 +0100
Hi, A long time since I've posted but finally our 1962 Spitfire 4 has been
painted and is starting to be rebuilt.

Sybil is a very early car, built in December 1962, Comm. FC813 and we're
slowly discovering several inconsistensies with even just slightly later MkI
cars and later models.

The first problem we've come across is with the heater box. We're used to
the usual roundtail design where the speedo and rev counter cables go
through holes in the heater box and then through the bulkhead. In Sybil's
original heater box there are no holes through the centre for these cables.
In rebuilding the car we had to replace the original bulkhead with one from
a later Spitfire4 which had the same heater box and holes through the
bulkhead that we're used to and didn't notice at the time where the cables
were routed on her original bulkhead, so didn't make these amendments to it
before putting the bits back together.

I know it's a long shot but we hoped there might be someone on the list who
has, or with knowledge of, a very early (1962) Spitfire4 with this
'different' heater system who can give us some advice on where the control
cables are routed and where the holes should be drilled in the builkhead.

Suzie Singleton
Wiltshire, UK

===     http://www.vtr.org