[Spits] Tail and dash light Gremlins

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spits] Tail and dash light Gremlins
From: "Paul Meyer" <paulfmeyer@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:12:08 -0400
Guys,

When I first got my '78 Spitfire in 2000, I had intermittent electrical
problems, most of which cleared up when I replaced the old frame ground
strap.  I later upgraded to a GM alternator which improved most of the
remaining, occasional problems.

I have had one issue, though, that got worse.  Years ago, the dash and tail
lights would go out simultaneously.  The next day, they'd work.  This
happened 6 or 7 times in the first two years of ownership.  So, I dismantled
all the lights, cleaned the contact surfaces, applied dielectric grease and
re-assembled.  It appeared to solve the problem for a while.  Then it
returned.  Recently I can't get the dash or tail-lights to work at all.
Oddly, my left turn signal works in the rear, but not the right.

I'd really like some feedback on this.  Has anyone had the same problem?

I've pored over the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual, and a really great
one that has the wiring in color that I found on-line.

It appears that all the affected lights share one common red wire that
travels from the body harness under the dash to the rear of the car.  This
doesn't explain the dash lights, though.  I jumpered the red wire at the
harness plug to the rear of the car, and it didn't improve.  I unwrapped the
tape over most of the harness wiring, but couldn't find any obvious exposed
copper or damaged insulation.  I'm stumped.

There is a black wire, the ground, that runs from the tail lamp housings
toward the front of the car, but doesn't seem to have a pin in the body
harness connector.  I tried tracing it, and I think it terminates at a nut
on the firewall brace near the battery - several black wires join there and
are linked by a cable on the same nut to the black Battery terminal.

At the tail, some wires have power - specifically, the fuel guage sender.  I
was not able to get the light to come on at any of the lamp positions
affected.

I gently pulled the fuse box out to look over the harness connections.  They
all appear ok, but the middle fuse is connected to only one green wire with
a red stripe.  Seems odd.

In desperation, I ordered a new body harness, 6 new lamp sockets, and new
bulbs.  I also ordered a new dimmer for the dash lights, as it's part of the
same red-wire circuit.  I hate taking the shotgun approach, but I'm out of
ideas and will need an inspection sticker next month.