Re: [Spits] Front swaybar

To: spitlist@cox.net, ljvaughan@pldi.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Front swaybar
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 22:54:03 EST
In a message dated 12/27/2007 7:42:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
spitlist@cox.net writes:

Increasing front stiffness (springs, shocks or sway bar) will increase  the
potential for understeer.  Compensating for too much understeer  is
accomplished by adding stiffness to the  rear.

==AM==
I'm with you, Joe. And I can "prove" it from personal experience. Back in
the 1970s when I was autocrossing my essentially stock GT6+, I often ran
against
 another 6+. It was also essentially stock, except that the owner had added
the  thicker front sway bar from a later swing-spring Spitfire. We swapped cars
 occasionally, and there was no question in my mind that his car was much
more  prone to plowing like a Ferguson tractor. ;-)

"Racing" Spitfires are a whole 'nuther story, since suspension  modifications
are not limited to just a thicker front sway bar.

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with   wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and
Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)