Re: [Spits] rear deck finisher part # 624801 for Mk IV

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, sagreenwood@att.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] rear deck finisher part # 624801 for Mk IV
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 06:17:45 -0700 (PDT)
The drawing in the official factory parts book (and probably catalogs like
Rimmers') is not accurate: it shows the finisher strip going over a raised
lip, but of course the lip points downwards.

I think the finisher strip is a
fairly generic trim piece, and if you cannot get it from the Spit parts
vendors, you can probably get the same material from a vendor of generic
automotive and marine trim materials.  You would just have to cut a couple of
notches in it where some brackets would interfere with its fit.

My car has
its original (but rather beat-up) strip.  Unfortunately it does not stay in
place really well, and when I fold up the soft top and push it down into its
stowed position, it tends to rub against the finisher strip and knock it out
of place.

If you leave your car's top down all the time, you could never tell
if the finisher strip was installed or not.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

--- On Mon,
4/13/09, Stuart Greenwood <sagreenwood@att.net> wrote:

> From: Stuart
Greenwood <sagreenwood@att.net>
> Subject: [Spits] rear deck finisher part #
624801 for Mk IV
> To: spitfires@autox.team.net
> Date: Monday, April 13,
2009, 3:05 PM
> Until I looked in the catalogues I
> was not aware that there
was such a thing
> as a rear deck finisher.  My car doesn't have
> one.  On
the raised edge  of the
> rear deck there is  (a) a metal plate bolted on

which the soft top is riveted
> to and (b)  8 black plastic  studs riveted to
the
> deck edge which engage the
> poppers of the soft top.
> What's the
finisher made of? If it goes on the raised edge
> of the rear deck it
> must
have holes in it to allow the metal plate to be bolted
> to the deck
> and
maybe  the black plastic studs hold it on?
> Can anybody enlighten me on

this finisher.

http://www.team.net/archive