[Spits] Sputtering when hot above 50 mph

To: "Spitfire Group" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spits] Sputtering when hot above 50 mph
From: "Greg Stull" <gastul@roadrunner.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:22:14 -0400
Sent this last night but I didn't know if it went through, I didn't see it.
Sorry if you received it twice.

Thanks guys,

I drove it last night and ran great. Had it up to 60 mph for about 20 miles.
Temperature was in the lower 70's. Maybe I didn't drive it long enough. When I
have trouble is when the temperature is in the 90's.

Let me ask another question, could oil make the car run hotter. I did an oil
change and used Auto Zone brand oil. I usually use Valvoline oil. I still used
20 W 50 like I always use. Just trying to think of things I did since problem
started.

Also what is the reason for the spacer on the fuel pump? I heard two different
reasons. One is that it makes the fuel pump run a little cooler and the other
is you can use a fuel pump from a different model car (like a Chevy) that's
more common.

I'm going to put a 160 degree thermostat in to see if that helps. Also going
to put a new fuel pump on but I can't understand why it only does it on a hot
day. Unless the fuel pump acts up when it gets hot?

Matt, you wouldn't happen to be going to the Vintage Grand Prix at Pittsburgh
this weekend? I'll be there on Saturday but as of right now I wouldn't be
driving my Spitfire there.

Greg
1978 Spitfire 1500
Ohio