Re: [Spits] Sputtering when hot above 50 mph

To: Spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Sputtering when hot above 50 mph
From: Greg Rowe <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:59:20 -0400
Not a perfect fit for the evidence, but easy enough to check - possibly
your vapor recovery system is partially blocked?  Eventually a vacuum
builds up in the tank making it impossible to pump enough gas.  You
check for it simply by popping open the gas cap when the symptoms
occur.  If you hear a whoosh of in-rushing air, then yep, you have
a blocked vapor recovery system.

Good luck!

"Other Greg" Rowe

> From: gastul@roadrunner.com
> To: spitfires@autox.team.net
> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:22:14 -0400
> Subject: [Spits] Sputtering when hot above 50 mph
>
> Sent this last night but I didn't know if it went through, I didn't see it.
> Sorry if you received it twice.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> I drove it last night and ran great. Had it up to 60 mph for about 20
miles.
> Temperature was in the lower 70's. Maybe I didn't drive it long enough. When
> have trouble is when the temperature is in the 90's.
>
> Let me ask another question, could oil make the car run hotter. I did an
oil
> change and used Auto Zone brand oil. I usually use Valvoline oil. I still
used
> 20 W 50 like I always use. Just trying to think of things I did since
problem
> started.
>
> Also what is the reason for the spacer on the fuel pump? I heard two
different
> reasons. One is that it makes the fuel pump run a little cooler and the
other
> is you can use a fuel pump from a different model car (like a Chevy) that's
> more common.
>
> I'm going to put a 160 degree thermostat in to see if that helps. Also
going
> to put a new fuel pump on but I can't understand why it only does it on a
hot
> day. Unless the fuel pump acts up when it gets hot?
>
> Matt, you wouldn't happen to be going to the Vintage Grand Prix at
Pittsburgh
> this weekend? I'll be there on Saturday but as of right now I wouldn't be
> driving my Spitfire there.
>
> Greg
> 1978 Spitfire 1500
> Ohio