Spark

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spark
From: "Larry G. Miller" <millerls@classic.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 97 23:23:26 UT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
O.K. who's going to explain the inner workings of the
distributor/coil/resistor/points/condenser relationship in laymen terms for
all of us dummies.  After talking to the parts/tech person where I bought the
Aldon distributor and being told that they had never had a bad one, much less
one that had lasted only one mile in the car, and that they averaged selling
three of them a day, I got to thinking, what in the hell could be wrong with
this car that could blow a distributor and what did it blow.  I'm thinking
that the condenser is about the only candidate, but why?. The problem was that
the points did not arc when they opened although there appeared to be spark
everywhere there should be, could a bad condenser cause this?. I sent the
distributor back for a new one but am afraid the new one will do the same
thing if its the car, although the old distributor continues to work.  Someone
suggested that a coil that was too hot may be the problem, how can this be
tested?. What effect would a coil connected backwards have? Coils used to be
marked "SW" and "CB" now its just "+" and "-"  are "CB" and "+" equated or is
it "CB" and "-"?  What purpose does the resistor between the coil and
distributor serve?  Why do I need one? Most Spridgets that I see don't even
have one.