Re: more brit terms

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: more brit terms
From: as@boris.umds.ac.uk (A.D.Smith)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:21:19 GMT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
   >>>Anyone know just what "white spirits" are? My can of Waxoyl says to dilute
   >>>it with this stuff.maybe it is mineral spirits? The stuff would obviously
   >>>have to evaporate right?   Bob C.

White spirit is a turpentine substitute, used for paint thinning, in the US if
I remember right, it's known as "denatured alcohol", or at least it was when
I bought some to use in my camping stove a couple of years back.

Don't use a petroleum based thing, like "white gas", which I'm assuming is
some kind of pure gasolean, because a) it won't mix well, and b) it might
explode.

I found mine in the paints department of a large store somewhere near lake
Tahoe, if that helps.  (I guess you should be able to find it all over the
place)

   >>>My Haynes book says to clean the points in the regulator with 1."fine
glass
   >>>paper" and 2. "emery paper" 3."carborundum paper"    Additionally is also
   >>>says"use fine glass paper between the cutout points but never emery paper"
   >>>Going on it says"use emery paper or carborundum paper on the regulator
   >>>points and Not glass paper" .Any thoughts out there?   Bob C

Different kinds of abrasive stuck to the paper or cloth.  I'm not sure what
the ordering is in terms of hardness, but you should be able to find out
from a good old fashioned hardware store somewhere.

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.            | a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Computational Imaging Science.    | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/a.d.smith/
5th Floor, Thomas Guy House       | tel. : 0171 955 4223
Guys Hospital, London SE1 9RT.    | fax. : 0171 378 7480

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.