Re: more brit terms

To: as@boris.umds.ac.uk (A.D.Smith)
Subject: Re: more brit terms
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:19:09 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Denatured alcohol (== Methylated spirits in the UK), burns fine in camp
>stoves designed for it, most commonly in Europe is the Swedish "Trangia"
>design. A great piece of kit that will burn in even the most ferocious
>wind.

Aha!  Something that makes sense!  In the UK, spirits must mean alcohol and
thus methylated spirits must mean methanol.  This would burn much better
than ethanol.  However, why methanol would need to be denatured is beyond me
- ya really don't want to drink it, even if it is pure and it is my
understanding that denaturing is specifically implemented to render the
substance unsuitable for comsumption.

In the US chemical industry, alcohol always refers to ethanol (specific type
of alcohol unspecified).

Any insights into other reasons for denaturing?  Seriously!

Les Myer