Re: more brit terms

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: more brit terms
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:18:57 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>   >>>Anyone know just what "white spirits" are? My can of Waxoyl says to
dilute
>   >>>it with this stuff.maybe it is mineral spirits? The stuff would obviously
>   >>>have to evaporate right?   Bob C.
>
>White spirit is a turpentine substitute, used for paint thinning, in the US if
>I remember right, it's known as "denatured alcohol", or at least it was when
>I bought some to use in my camping stove a couple of years back.

I wouldn't think denatured alcohol would burn very well in a camping stove -
I may be wrong.  Denatured alcohol is ethanol (what you drink) that you
don't have to pay liquor tax on because it has been denatured with another
substance (like isopropanol, acetone, ethyl acetate, etc), making it unfit
for human consumption.  Oils and waxes have limited solubility in ethanol
(ie Waxoyl????) - so I doubt if it would make a good thinner for this
substance.  Plus, ethanol takes forever to evaporate.

My guess - repeat, guess - is that they mean a light, pure petroleum
distillate such as Prep-Sol (body supply store) which dissolves wax and oil
but is not as dangerous as working with volatile substances such as gasoline
- and will leave no residue - but it still will burn about like kerosene so
take proper precautions.  If the goal is for the thinner to evaporate, this
should work well.

Les Myer