Tacho

Subject: Tacho
From: "Russell Penney" <rpenney@cyberspace.net.au>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:31:28 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi all,
    As a new owner of a sprite I have the enjoyable task of learning about
my beastie. I have a lot of problems I need to fix but I knew the risk when
I paid the money! :-)

Firstly am I right in assuming PO means previous owner and DPO is a nasty
term?

The PO replaced the engine with a datsun 1500 and then preceded to completly
stuff up the wiring! I am slowly trying to figure out the differences but my
problem at the moment is the tacho doesn't work!

Well it has worked for 5 minutes one night but then I hit another bump and
it stopped again! I have checked the wiring for the tacho and everything
looks OK. I am getting voltage ( about 11.8 V ) to the unit, it is grounded
OK and the funny wire loop is OK.
My baby has a different coil to the original would that make a difference?

I have pulled the tacho apart and looked for loose connections inside but
can't find any although the soldering is pretty bad.
Any ideas how to bench test the tacho?

Oh I have a 1965 MkIIIA sprite and I am having a LOT of fun driving it!

Russell