Re: On the road!!!

To: Jason Urban <jurban@pond.com>
Subject: Re: On the road!!!
From: Albert F Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:46:35 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 09:07 AM 4/27/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Howdy All!
>
>The Sprite was on the road on Saturday after an engine rebuild and a few
>other little things.  It's been almost a year and a half since the car was
>out for a quick spin!  Only went about half a mile, but it was FUN!
>
>Thanks for everyone's help on taking care of a few minor problems!!
>
>But wait, there's more!
>1) When installing headers, do you cut or bend the rail out of the way to
>clear the header??  Or is the header knocked in slightly at the chassis
rail??

Bother the rail as little as possible.  My favourite tool is a die grinder
( next is a hammer ) and I usually take a little off the rail and then bend
the header some too.  Use heat to bend it.  Don't collapse the tube!

>2) Oil pressure seems to stay at 60 even after everything gets warm.  Any
>ideas??  Could this be a problem with the relief valve and spring??

Most Spridget owners pray for 60psi.  I would check the oil pressure relief
valve, they can stick easily.  The presssure is usually high on a fresh
re-build.  The bearings wear in after a bit.

>3) Anybody know a good, reliable source for a new combined master cylinder??

If your M/C is re-buildable send it to Apple Hydraulics (NY) or White Post
Restorations (VA).  They will sleeve it and re-build it.

>4) The only leak so far, which seems very minor, is at the pipe that runs
>from the back, side of the block and runs to the oil filter mount.  Is there
>much that can be done for this??

For the oil pipe.  There are two copper washers on the  banjo bolt (towards
the rear of the engine) they may need replacing.  On the filter end, a
little teflon tape on CLEAN Threads should do the job if the pipe itself is
in good shape.

>5) The baby-moon, "AH" hubcaps - how are these fitted??  Do they use any
>kind of spring to hold them to the wheel??

Depending on which wheel you have, the ventilated steel wheel that came
with bug eyes had three little "mushroom" shaped fixtures that the hub caps
snapped over.  The later steel wheels had three ridges pressed into the
centre portion that  the  hub caps snapped over.  There were no additional
attachments on either type of wheel.

Hope this helps
Fisher