Exhaust - After the Inspection

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Exhaust - After the Inspection
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 00:16:04 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The saga continues.

So, I jacked the car up to look at my manifold and determine flanged or
not.  Learned two things:  those original jacks may be fun to own as a
novelty, but ....

Lifted the front wheel way off the ground, but even at its highest the back
wheel never left terra firma.  I think my tires are larger than standard.
They are 165s.  Aren't Midgets supposed to run smaller tires?

Second thing I learned.  Didn't need to jack the car up to look at the
manifold.  Just turning the wheels all the way to the right provided a nice
view of the end of my manifold.  The verdict is in - unflanged.  Makes
sense as I had a straight pipe and muffler hooked to it.  Well, I've
already ordered the flanged, resonator box with muffler setup which is
"proper" for late model 1275s.  I have a '74 so I think I'd prefer a
flanged manifold if I can locate one at a decent price.  Fisher is going to
give me a quote on one so I may have this part settled soon.

Here's a closer look at my manifold.  It has the three pipes coming down
into the one down pipe and the three sort of twist into the one.  Doesn't
look like the pictures of the flanged type I've seen which don't seem to
twist together like that.  About an inch and a half down from where they
all meet there seems to be a weld which connected the manifold to the old
front pipe.  About an inch down form this weld is where the little guy
snapped in two on me on NJ Route 3.  :)

Thanks for the words of advice I've gotten so far on this little problem.
I'd have been a lot more worried about buying my dream car if I didn't know
there was such a great support system here.  I just hope I can give
something back once I've gone through some of these things myself.  The old
pass it along philosophy.

Cheers,
Philip
1974 MG Midget (Burgundy)