Re: Oil Cooler Fit and Cleaning

To: Daryl May <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Cooler Fit and Cleaning
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:00:18 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Daryl May wrote:

> Sorry if this is a repeat, but I think my similar message got lost.
>
> I want to install a conventional oil cooler off a 1967 Midget onto my
> Bugeye.
>
> 1.  The Bugeye hood is not available right now. Does anyone know if I am
> going to have a fit problem?  The cooler is about 5 inches high and would
> go in the same place as on the Midget, which is on a purpose-made bracket
> that spans the two longitudinal frames, a few inches in front of the
> radiator.

an oil cooler on a Bugeye will not fit when the bonnet closes.You have to mount
it on the side of the radiator support long ways.
At least I had too, maybe other listers have other ideas.

> 2.  How do you clean out an oil cooler and tubing that has been opened up
> to grime and dust and spiders for some time?  Solvent could stay in to some
> degree, and destroy oil properties.  Water a similar concern.  Oil does not
> flow when cold enough to pass through easily.

Kerosene or diesel fuel works well for this.

--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs