Beautiful Saturday drive, bad sunburn and couple of questions

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Beautiful Saturday drive, bad sunburn and couple of questions
From: Fred Krampits <fred@hprrc725.rose.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 08:57:25 -0700
Cc: Lawrie@britcars.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I've got about 200 mile on my Midget since all the engine and tranny
work was done, and finally decided to take a afternoon ride thru the
mountains. Lawrie Alexander recommended HWY 49 between Rescue & Auburn
CA. Well worth the ride, numerous hairpin turns, my car attracted so
much attention from other drivers I'm surprized nobody drove off the
mountain. From Auburn to Roseville (Home) I took I-80, was able to hold
my own in the center lane, got it to 4800 rpms without even pushing it.

Now comes my questions, I have a 1098CG, stock ribcase, 422 rear end,
how fast was I going at 4800 rpms? My speedometer has been on the bottom
of the list of things to fix, it kinda erratic, it did register close to
90 when I was at 4800 rpms in 4th. I doubt it's accuracy. The next
morning I woke to a flat on my right front wheel, no tire damage
probably a pinched tube from the wire wheel spokes and nipples being put
to the test. Anybody ever use the rim bands Moss sells?

Only real drawback of the trip was just as when I was in Hawaii, I did
not realize how bad the thinning mane was being sunburned until it was
too late, I got a mild second degree sunburn on the scalp which I'm
going to be paying for all week. So much for my thrill of watching my
wife grabbing the Sprite grab handle I fitted, hanging on for life as I
nailed those hairpin turns.

Fred
1963 Midget MK I 1098CG