RE: Steering Wheel Nut

To: "'Daryl May'" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Subject: RE: Steering Wheel Nut
From: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:15:00 -0600
Cc: "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Daryl ,
I too had the same problem with my Bugeye steering wheel nut . I showed
a machinist friend the new "NUT"
from England . (I lost the old one) He did not have the
correct size die , however he did determine that there are 24 threads
per inch (9/16-24 TPI I believe) He loaned  me a 24TPI thread file . I
filed all around the diameter until the nut would just start on the
threads .
I kept filing around and around until I got to the point were the nut
will now spin on easily by hand . I was worried at first because the
threads looked ok , but the nut would not fit . After using the thread
file, life at the
steering wheel to steering column interface is good .
              Good Luck ,
                               Mark Hanna
                               AN5L/13731
P.S. I'm still looking for an old "junk" aftermarket wheel
        to use during the bodywork phase of the restoration
        of my Bugeye . TIA , MH