Re: Torque Wrench

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Torque Wrench
From: Les Myer <lmyer@probe.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 00:17:49 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I used the rod and scale type until I had to re-do a set of head gaskets
for a customer for free when I was turning wrenches for a living.  Turns
out the scale was 20 ft/lbs off.  Threw it right in the trash where it
belonged and bought a good Snap-on torque wrench ($$$$$$$).  Several years
later and many years ago my son (age 5) took it out of my toolbox and
practiced hammering nails into a board with it......but that's another
story......

I have always tightenend and continue to tighten main caps, rod caps,
cylinder head bolts, and intake manifolds on all engines with a torque
wrench - These are critical.  I have to admit I haven't used a torque
wrench much on the rest but I like to think I have a well-above-average
feel.  More recently, I bought a 3/8 drive 10-75 ft/lb torque wrench for
working on the Sprite and used it for every bolt on the engine.  If you
have any doubts about how tight, use an accurate torque wrench.

Les