Re: Bowie, MD trip (rather verbose)

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Bowie, MD trip (rather verbose)
From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:32:01 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> I never did see Jeff's car, we met at the parts piles.
>Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ

>Hi, Jeff!  Sorry I missed you at Bowie.  I was with the Midgets across the
>lake from the Healeys, although I spent most of my time among the Big
>Healeys collecting VIN numbers.  Did you drive your Bugeye to the show?
>Steve Byers

There is a pretty good reason why y'all didn't see my car -- I didn't drive
it.  I had the best intentions of driving it up, but when I got up at 4:30
Sunday morning it was raining and blowing to beat the band.  I hung around
till about 5 debating whether to go at all since it was still coming down.
Finally I decided just to drive the stupid Honda.  It rained for about 90
out of the 180 miles during the trip up from Chesapeake.  I can only imagine
those little 8" Bugeye wipers just gettin' it!  It would have been
interesting to see if it leaked like a sieve too (fond memories of my MGA
days).

I was thinking all the way of what a nice drive it was -- back roads, early
morning, no one out.  Then, about 5 miles from the Potomac, there is this
huge-ass valley (with corresponding huge-ass hill) that I can just picture
the Bug transversing -- with it's ill tuned Weber on a 948 with original
smoothcase without a 2nd gear synchro.  It wouldn't have been a pretty
sight.  But hey, that's why they put a right lane on 301 North.  Then, an
even bigger surprise -- the 2 lane Potomac bridge into Maryland.  That thing
is a like a small mountain -- but it doesn't have a right lane!  Hell, they
would still be lined up behind me!

Anyway, enough excuses.  I'll drive the bloody thing to Berkley in the fall.

I had a great time at the show.  I was glad to meet Frank and several
others. I introduced myself to Frank by asking "Who are you" while he and
Rick Moses were buying a good looking tyre pump for George Marinos.  Smooth
huh?

Sorry I missed you Steve.  I did walk through the MG area. The only Midget I
looked at though was the '63 on the second row.  The rest of my time over
there was spent drooling on the MGA's and the E Types.  I admit that the
majority of my time was spent in the vendor area coveting NOS stuff.

I'm sure I'll be back with the Bug next year.  In the meantime, I'm going to
contact the Virginia DOT to see if they can fill in that valley and lower
that bridge a bit  ;7)

Jeff