UK Datsun 5 speed ?

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: UK Datsun 5 speed ?
From: "Guy" <Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:16:31 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Having put the overdrive gearbox into my 1500 Midget, and been so impressed
with the improvment  for everyday driving, I am begining to think about how
to deal with my '71 Sprite which I have been rebuilding for the last 9 years
!
Yep, its nearly ready, and being what I expect to be the nicer of the two
models I am really looking forward to driving it.
Now. about 5 speed 'boxes, over here in the UK the commonest conversion
seems to be to use a Toyota box, but this requires quite a bit of chopping
of the frame and tranny tunnel.  Others have use a Ford (sierra) box which
also needs modifications to the metalwork.
As I understand it the Datsun conversion that is so popular in the USA is
pretty straightforward and dosn't need bodywork mods. Is that right ?
Datsuns were sold in the UK as Nissans, and I am trying to find out which
was / is the UK model name / number  of the version that you go for in the
States? Was it sold in the UK?  What year are we talking about?  We had a
thing called a Nissan Sunny,  but I don't know if it was 5 spd. Havn't seen
one for ages.
Then there was a Nissan Prairie, a sort of small proto-MPV (Van?)
Any ideas ?

Guy