Re: Difference for CA cars

To: mgjarrod@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Difference for CA cars
From: Christian Stanton <cstanton@pixley.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:51:55 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have a 78 Midget (CA).  Here are the differences I have been able to gather
(they my be different for a '76).

- Emissions (mostly the same stuff connected differently)
- Carb is different (needle and diaphram, inlets)
- Head is different (?)
- Electronic Ignition and Distributor is different (timing is set to different
spec: 2 deg ATDC!)
- Pistons are low compression (HC on Federal before '77)
- Catalytic on all 1500's (Federal from '77 on).
- Speedometer cable goes through interval counter which warns you to replace
the catalytic converter every 25,000 miles. (located next to the brake M/C)

- I have seen 2 '78 CA Midgets with Robin's Egg blue valve covers, mine and
another with 22,000 miles on it.   I think this may be original and not a
transplant from a Spitfire (which were blue).

It took me some scratching my head and chasing the emissions to figure out if
mine was a CA car.  I finally noticed the label in the engine bay (last line
says meets CA emissions). The label is red, I think Federal may have been white.

Another label on the door says "The catalyst will be renewed free of charge by
your British Leyland at 25,000 miles"

Christian Stanton
78 Midget CA