Re: Pipe thread thread

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pipe thread thread
From: Bill & Cindy <fatboy@metro.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:07:27 +0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
At 11:48 AM 2/10/99 -0800, you wrote:

>".....I'm pretty sure I checked the threads with a thread gauge before
>I replaced
>the differential plugs with the Ford ones, but now you
>have got me curious and I'm gonna check 'em again... next time I run
>across the old ones in my junk box.
>

>Bill & Cindy
>Santa Rosa, CA  "
>
>Please advise when you have your results on the axle plug threads.  I
>like to replace about any threaded part or fastener when I diassemble
>something on an older car, so I'd like to know which pipe-threaded
>parts I can replace at the local hdwe store.....
>
>Thanks -
>
>MD

Michael,

I found the old differential plugs that I removed from our 69 MKIV Sprite.

They are a tapered thread plug with 14 threads per inch. The roots of each
plug measures approximately .781" and 792". The crowns of each plug measure
approximately .834" and .840".

Now...reference data indicates that both USP and BSP 1/2 pipe is 14TPI.
Same data also states that a 1/2 BSP diameter is .825"...how they establish
a nominal diameter for a taper is unknown to me.

Back to the real world. Are the original plugs BSP or USP? I dunno? Do know
that the USP ones fit and do not leak.

As a final thought on the matter...Lindsay Porter does not state in his "MG
MIGDET & AUSTIN-HEALEY SPRITE Purchase and Restoration Guide" page 295,
that the differential plugs are 1/2 BSP ...as a matter of fact...he doesn't
reference them at all!

So...I guess the question remains unanswered.

How 'bout it list...jump right in here and help me confuse the matter even
more.

Bill & Cindy
Santa Rosa, CA

98 Sea Ray 190 BR