Re: No seatbelts

To: adrian@icx.net, justincook@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: No seatbelts
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:42:37 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/11/99 11:56:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, adrian@icx.net
writes:

<< He says the seatbelts are
 too old and their reliability is unknown. >>

I agree with what Adrian is saying--I am a hobbyist rock climber--I wear a
harness made essentially of seat belt material.  I climb using ropes made of
the same material (nylon).  Rock climbers know well the detrimental effect of
UV rays on nylon, thus the need to continually replace nylon materials.  Ropes
should be replaced every two years even with light use.  Can you imagine how
much UV seat belts absorb sitting there day in and day out in open light?   If
You were to fall off an 80 foot rock, would you want your harness to be made
of old seat belts?  Would you want the rope to be 15 years old?

An automobile crash is many times more violent and puts multiples of stress on
the seat belt material over and above what a climbing fall will place on a
harness.  Then just use logic!!!  Duh!!!!

---David