Re: Midget VIN

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midget VIN
From: chuckc <chuckc@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 08:22:38 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Thanks to all you VIN experts!
I also found the Midget and Sprite Club page:

     http://www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetspriteclub/sprite/spriteident.htm

which clarified some stuff too:

G = MG Midget
A = A-series engine
N = 2-seat tourer
5 = MG Midget Mark III
U = USA
C = 1972 production year
179806 = production number
G = Mfg in Abbington UK

So what does the engine number tell me: 12V/587Z/L12786 ?

For the first group (12V) the Midget&Sprite page sez that the leading 12
is for the 1275 cc engine, but does not explain the V.

The second part (587Z) should be for the gearbox, shown on the web
page as either a Da or a U. I'm not sure how 587Z fits that mold.

In the last section (L12786), I guess the "L" means low compression and
the trailing 12786 is the actual engine production number?

chuck