Re: Front Wheel Bearings... Explanation.

To: <Lancer7676@aol.com>, <toobmany@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: Front Wheel Bearings... Explanation.
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:09:33 +1000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
David,

You can buy a crack testing kit from many rural supply places or
from pegasus racing supplies.

Back to the original question. It is simply a question of engineering
mechanics. The spindle is a simple tapered solid beam. When the spacer
is in there and correctly pre-loaded you have a composite beam with a
much higher "Moment of Inertia". This simply means that for a given
bending load there will be less deflection.

The composite beam will also ensure that the local stresses on the
surface of the spindle are much much lower than without the spacer.
Why? Because the spacer is further out from the centreline axis of
the assembly it contributes much more to the stiffness and takes the
greater majority of the bending load (as tension/compression on
the top/bottom half and vica versa) and thus reducing the maximum
tension/compression stresses seen by the surface of the spindle.

By reducing the maximum cyclic tensile/compression stresses on the
spindle, the fatigue life is greatly increased.

Note that it is the delta (max tension - max compression) that is related
to the fatigue life. The fact that the spindle is pre-stressed in tension is
a very minor consideration as far as fatigue life is concerned.

Mike