Re: Front Wheel Bearings... Explanation.

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front Wheel Bearings... Explanation.
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:18:56 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi, Mark!
IMHO, the stock ball bearings and spacer arrangement are perfectly adequate
for normal driving.  For performance driving, I don't know because I don't
have any experience with that, but I would expect the roller bearings to be
able to take more of a side-to-side thrust load, such as in hard turns.
The ball bearings benefit more from the use of the spacer to set the
preload than is the case with tapered roller bearings.   Preload is
important for reducing the amount of initial deflection of the bearing
under load.

You could use either type of bearing, but I would still use the spacer
(personal preference).  I have always used the ball bearings and spacer in
my Midget with no problems.

How 'bout that, Mark Meyers, the Torrington man?

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

<spridgets@autox.team.net>